Thursday, January 3, 2013
Hi friends, I hope that when you read this post you are enjoying life like it should be and undisputedly we all should strive for. Sometimes we let our life conform to the shape of our circumstances. Just imagine if the clay is not well work by the artist, then the vase would never have the intended form. I always tell people that I live my life to the fullest and I do not let my past or current situations define who I am, but I will learn from the purpose of each one of them. That said, I want you know that my husband is improving significantly, not because his impairments resolved but because everyday he is learning and striving to manage everything in a way that he can fulfill his goals.
As a caregiver of a Soldier with traumatic brain injury for the past three and a half years I can say, I have walked in various paths that were unexpected. I wasn't ready, I never envisioned this new life but this new life have brought one of the most meaningful experiences, the opportunity to serve others. Taking the sorrow and converting it in the fuel to help others while helping myself was challenging but it has been successful. I'm thankful for a great support system, including our online community of friends. Some of you I already met during my travels and some of you I'm anxiously waiting the moment when we will meet.
Three and a half years can go so fast or so slow, that is all individual perception. I feel this time has been so long and full of experiences. Victor and I have gone to places and have met people we never imagined. It has been time and energy consuming but it has been all worth it. There were times that I felt discouraged, frustrated, lonely and many more things that took breath away from me, but my heart was always ready to move on, to grab and hold tight because the ride was going to be fast. Today after so many situations, good and bad, we still standing strong, ready to conquer whatever come to us.
People ask me all the time how I manage to assume so many responsibilities and I just share my perfect recipe for strength, peace and joy no matter the circumstances. This recipe may or may not apply to you and I respect your opinion but I feel compelled to share as it has been my greatest source of hope:
1. I wake up each day leaving behind the load from the day before
2. Give thanks for all I am, will be and the beautiful day I'm living.
3. Daily prayer and devotions
4. I thank God everyday for all that it is in my life with the certainty that He has a purpose beyond what I can perceive at the moment. That is the faith that allows me to continue to move forward.
5. I see in others the good in them and forgive any wrong doing . I value others regardless of their position, education or any other superficial characteristic.
6. I maintain a positive perspective despite any present circumstance, I always seek the good in the bad.
7. Most of ALL and beyond anything else I trust the Lord with ALL my heart and never rest in my own understanding. I seek His presence and I strive to love others just as He loves us.
During this time of the year, take a minute to count your blessings and start moving forward to a new year, with a positive attitude and hope. I am looking forward to beautiful life. This year 2013 I may not strive to loose weight or make more money or obtain material things. I strive to reach out to as many as I can, I want to complete my doctoral studies to be able to use my talents for the good of others, I want to share a beautiful life with my husband and would like to live a fulfilled life.
God bless you all, my dear friends!
Posted by TBI Army Wife at 10:31 AM